Monday, November 17, 2008

Scandalous Behavior


Well.. as I mentioned it is hunting season here… one of them... and that brings a lot of folks into the area. Neon orange is everywhere. Our road has been very busy with packs of 3-4 trucks at a time loaded with orange clad men and piles of deer food. I am sure half of them have been drinking at some point during their adventures and all of them have loaded guns.

Ahhh.. how nostalgic… it reminds me of home…

Anyway, the ATV- Snowmobile trails are off limits this time of the year which is not so bad because I think there might be three deer and three hundred hunters wandering around in the woods AND it is too damn cold anyway. Makes me nervous to drive down the county road to tell you the truth. Maybe I should get some kind of orange flag for the Infinity. Kinda like those little ones we used to put on the back of our bikes! In the 70's the flag was ok... the helmet? Not.

I know winter has not really started or anything but it is kinda different when I get up to start my day, check out the weather channel, and see that it says “19 degrees but feels like 11 degrees”. As I write this post I can see that the lake is starting to ice over.

Hunting this time of year is interesting. It is a different kind of hunting... it is not the walking through woods all stealth-like and following tracks, reading the deer poop, and watching for other wilderness type signs until you stumble upon a deer in a meadow kind of hunting like in olden days...

Umm.. that might be a bit much....
or not enough... I don't see any neon orange.

But here most of the hunters come in a day or more early, set up their blinds or just go to ones that have already been set up for them, put more feed out, and sit in there and practice shooting all day before hunting season actually starts.

Um. I don't know if I should point this out or not but deer have ears… big ones.

I was hearing gun fire all day... so I am sure any deer with ears may have heard it too.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining... not really. The one thing that all this hunting does for this area is it brings in a lot of business… hopefully. All the hunting camps that are tucked into the woods around here and frankly look abandoned suddenly now are filled with people… mostly man type people. The hotels are full, the grocery stores are busy, the sporting good stores are busy… a lot of the snow birds around here rent out their places to hunters during this time of the year so there seems to be money flowing. The cabins next door are all full. When you live somewhere that tourists flock in during certain times of the year there are many pros and cons. It is just these tourists aren't in bermuda shorts and shooting with cameras. These tourists are wearing their cammo and shooting with rifles.

Just as a point of information... along with using blinds :



during this particular season you can bait deer so there are huge bags of carrots, corn, and sugar beets out in front of nearly every retail establishment around. You are kind of just supposed to throw out a bucket or two of feed but I have seen trucks with the beds full of bags.

Yes… I said you can bait them. You know, you just feed them until they get comfortable coming to get snacks from you since winter is coming soon and they are trying to eat as much as possible… yeah that's right... you get it... they trust it is a safe place to eat. Then you sit in your blind and shoot them dead. It must be like sitting in the barn shooting cows when they come to get the hay you have put in their manger... trough whatever it is called.

Oh. That sounded snotty. Before sending any frenzied hunters rights emails refer back to my venison post the other day.

Anyway… We went to town yesterday and passed by a motel with a big frame thing out front right on the main road with a huge deer hanging. Speaking of huge deer… one of our neighbor ladies dropped a big fat buck first thing the morning of open season. She was in her blind, and here he comes walking along looking for the pile of apples she has been tossing out into a pile for about a month and *Blammo*. He was a forked horn… small rack but he was a BIG boy. She had him strapped on the back of her ATV and brought him by the Post Office to show me, and of course get her mail. She must have hugged me three times she was so excited. She had already gutted it and was taking it home to hang while she made some pies for church the following day.

Oh and of course we can not forget what else is busy…. the BARS are busy.

Even the bar here in town, which brings me to the latest scandal. I have always kind of thought that running a bar here in town must be a struggle. I do not know of the financial situation at that establishment but it does not seem that it is a real busy place. If it was run more like a pub type place that might be one thing as the restaurant is now closed and people do like to sit and have coffee/soda/beer and chat. In the bar there is a small grill, a surprisingly good sized bar, a pool table, a big screen t.v., and several tables and chairs. However, there do not seem to be many customers. Being a businessman trying to scare up customers the owner has decided that during hunting season he would bring in the gal who used to own the now closed down restaurant to cook breakfasts every morning for the hunters (very good idea) and starting on 11/15 and going through 11/30 he has brought in … Exotic Dancers.


Yes, Exotic Dancers.

That is one way to get people talkin'... you betcha!

Exotic Dancers? LIVE Exotic Dancers? Here? What does that mean?
Who are the girls? Just how 'exotic' are they?

What will they be wearing?

The world is coming to an end... good grief we have gone from Pastys to Pasties!


I have a feeling a hunter might like either one after a very cold day in the blind.

The rumors have been flying that it is local girls doing the dancing. I kind of doubt that since there are like two girls within 50 miles who are of the age that you might want to see dance...

maybe...

or perhaps he has hired girls from somewhere else to come in for the show.


Well, I say good for him… the guy has to compete somehow. He is not on the main highway and he has three bars 10 miles down the road in either direction that he has to compete with… and they are all on the main highway.

I have to tell you though, I was itching to go down and watch.. at least peak through the window! Oh man I am so curious about the whole scene! Since it just started the other night I am sure SOMEONE was there who will spill the beans and let everyone know if the dancers are home grown yoopers or foreign yoopers. Might be kinda scary either way.




Well with all this talk about hunting.. you hungry yet?


Ha! I just love that picture... had to fit it in somehow.

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh, let me know if they are hiring! Sign me up, baby! Hee Hee. You should go in there just to make the men folk a little uneasy...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin