Sunday, March 1, 2009

Living and learning


We have been tucked in all comfortably for the last few weeks making great efforts to appear like a pair of hermits... well, not really a pair as we have the beasts here with us. So I guess that technically makes us a quartet of hermits.

Anyway, we have been (forever) painting, and have even been selling stuff on the computer. Sporting equipment, old coins etc., through eBay and used books through Powell's. Shhh.. don't tell but I probably purchase used books through Amazon and Powell's as fast as we sell them so there appears to be no change in the size of our library nor in the profit involved in this activity... much like the stock market lately.
I digress.

Anyway, yesterday we planned to break out of our routine and attended the
First Annual Snowmobile Drag races here in town at the airport.
Very Exciting!






It was a fundraiser put on by the local snowmobile club for Habitat for Humanity. Some folks had their house burn to the ground and Habitat was helping to raise funds to replace it. There was a pretty good turn out when you take into account that this is the first time for this event.



A couple of the snowmobile club members groomed the airport



and several teams and individuals responded.
Local folks participated and then also guys/gals who are more into racing joined in as well.


I say guys/gals because unlike this groovy swingin' couple
you could not tell man from women in the outfits I saw the other day...



Unless I suppose you turn people upside down but we're not goona go there. I hope it went well enough to make it an annual event. The airport is the perfect place for drag races and with a little more organization it could really take off nicely. A handful of folks worked very hard to get the race together and I bet they will have lots of ideas on what to do next year if they are going to do it again. The first year is always a trial run for these kind of things.

I had to work on Saturday for a couple hours so our participation took a little planning. We had to make sure that we brought extra clothes for me to wear to the airport as it turns out that Saturday was the coldest day we have had so far this winter. We woke up to -25 degree weather (wind chill -34) here at the lake, and a little bit later in town it was -35 in some spots. There was one day where the temperature was not as low but the wind chill dropped the temp lower than it was on saturday. However, this -35 below business was the actual temperature... thank goodness there was not much wind to speak of. Let me tell ya it kind of put an interesting twist on watching the snowmobile races.


David and Delta came to get me and I added layers of clothing at work and we went down to the air field. Cosmo stayed at home... it was wayyyyy too cold for him and his little furry toes. We parked at David's uncle's house and wobbled over to watch for awhile. As I mentioned above it is kind of funny because you don't really recognize people until you get up pretty close to them. Everyone looks like the Michelin man and we all "walk" like weebles in the snow. If you fall over, you are lost. Poof.

The racing was actually pretty fun. Some people were riding regular snowmobiles and others were riding "souped up" machines that looked like rockets. They had so much power when they started the drag race the front end would come up off the ground!! On the souped up machines the riders would lay down low on the machine like they do on racing motorcycles. We did not stay until the end but it was fun while we were there.


One thing I think you should know though... ya know all the groovy photos of snowmobiles you have been looking at? They are not mine. Not a single one of them.

Joe and Mr. Rockford are very disappointed.



You see, I forgot to bring one very important thing to the
First Annual Snowmobile Drag Race.



Duh.

It has been a new experience getting used to the cold here. I really am glad we are here... I think the folks who live here full time for years on end are pretty hardy folks. We came for a year or so for some adventure, to build the house, visit with David's Dad and family members, and for a bit of a break. Turns out it has been a great choice. For me, learning to live in this cold weather has been interesting. Really. You definitely learn to dress etc and how to treat your vehicle as well as what to carry inside your vehicle around this time of year. (A shovel and etc clothes are very important). I warm the car up in plenty of time to get me to work and sometimes that means it is sitting out in the driveway idling for 10-15 minutes. I have to tell you though... it is STILL cold when you get inside so the whole car dancing phenomena takes on new meaning as well.

Ummm.... ok. Whatever.
Don't even try to act like you don't know what car dancing is...

Align Center

You know you have all done it at one point either for fun with friends,



Or out of sheer joy in hearing an old favorite song on the radio while you are alone. I know you have seen people on the highway doing it...



You have even probably seen the ultimate car dance in movies...



but I am betting money that you yourself have done it at least once. It's like singing at the top of your lungs in the car or in the shower... how can you not?!!

Anyway, like I said, car dancing takes on a whole new meaning up here in da' U.P.
It is a great way to stay warm in the car. I must give you the disclaimer however. Whatever you do though don't try to check your performance in the mirror when you get home.
I did that once and was scarred for life.
I thought I was all coordinated and graceful and stuff... thought I had THE MOVES...
Good Grief...
ever see Elaine dance on Seinfeld?




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin