Sunday, May 25, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend

Wow.. when I was getting my pics ready for the next entry I had not realized I had skipped a few days blogging. Been kinda busy. We fixed the plumbing issues that the plumbing inspector had issues with. He preferred white pipe over black apparently and he also liked the 2" over 1 1/2" pipe. Oh well.. gotta get it right or it will not get approved. So that was taken care of and now David and Jerry are prepping the floor .. again... for the next cement pour.



I took a picture from the lake looking back at the house. We moved the 'access' path/road from one side to the other. You can see it in this photo. I will be able to ride my scooter down there and in a pinch if we need to we can get the backhoe down that road. It runs along side the house. Its going to run along the patio and now, before we finalize the landscaping ideas I am trying to decide what to do with that slope. We will have a patio but then should I terrace it slightly? Or leave it as a slight slope. Hmmm.. I am leaning towards terracing it.

More usable garden space that way. But how... sigh.

The guys and dogs have been fishing, of course, and I have been taking pictures.
That one of the sunset is un-retouched in any way. I am having a hard time picking how to display these photos on the blog.. be patient with me.






I have also been riding with the dogs, and learning how to use the riding mower in Jerry and Karen's backyard. I behaved myself, but if it had been my yard I would have cut all kinds of designs and crop circles in the grass. The riding mower was really actually a lot of fun.. very zen-like. I contemplated many things including writing children stories about Cosmo the Magnificent as I watched him try to follow me around on the mower wanting a ride... I thought about the fantastic adventures he could participate in! But then realized someone already wrote Wishbone stories.

Curses foiled again!


Oh geez.. speaking of riding with the dogs, I almost forgot... Look what I got!

The beasts love it... precious cargo! Check out this next picture! Happiness is... with Momma on on the front of the scooter! He LOVES it. When I start it up, here comes Cosmo the Magnificent wanting me to put him in his box so he can ride along.

He was BORN TO BE WILD!


Today Ruben and Lonnie came by and wanted to know if I wanted to go and get some wild leeks... I jumped on that chance! I took my deadly looking garden knife... (which is fabulous by the way and you can get at Amazon along with a sheath. It makes me feel like Xena

well it would if I could figure out how to hook it across my back.)


Uhhh.... I digress.

Anyway, I got me some wild leeks! Or ramps depending on where you live. They are apparently totally edible, and they are oniony-garlicy flavored, I chopped some up and tossed them in the chili beans I am making tonight. There are a bunch growing wild around here so guess what I am going to be doing! I think I might try to get some started in a section of our forest.. it would be great to have a wild bunch coming up and not have to wander too far to get them.


Yesterday which was Saturday we went on a long 4 wheeler ride. It was great! I like the longer rides. We passed by several lakes... Lake Linda, Estes, Irish, etc.

I saw some cool wildflowers along the way. First big white ones, they look almost like dogwood flowers, and then the other much smaller but numerous on the forest floor.



I took pictures of all these little lakes but .. to be honest they all look alike in photos. They all are beautiful. Tough to beat the big lake though.

Here is a glimpse of Lake Superior through some pines.
I took it the other day when we went up along the shore past L'Anse.

Anyway, we rode a bunch of backroads and ended up in Kenton wanting to get an ice cream cone. What we did not realize is that the store in Kenton was having their annual cookout and feeding whoever showed up. So.. we got some bar-b-que chicken and ice cream cones. Quite a treat! and no.. they were not charging anything for the chicken. It is just a cookout they do for their customers every Memorial Day. People brought dishes to share so everyone can enjoy.

Pretty Nice Huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin